Considered to be the most beautiful square in Paris, Place des Vosges had been called Place Royale until the times of the First Republic. It was the first of its kind urban ensemble consisting of 24 identical buildings, the construction of which was initiated during the reign of Henry IV to replace the demolished Tournelles castle. The ensemble was ready in 1612. Place des Vosges withstood revolutions, reconstructions, wars barely touched, and only the name was changed to commemorate the revolutionaries. The statue of Louis XVIII, that the Communards melted to make cannons, was replaced by a copy. Famous residents include Victor Hugo and Dumas's cunning character Miledy de Winter.