Mercat de Poblenou began its history in 1889, when it was built under the name of Mercat de la UniГі to house stock bartering and produce, meat and fish stalls. It was constantly redesigned and added to, and saw major renovations in 1923, 1945 and 1966. At the beginning of the 21th century, the market was closed during the summer of 2004, and reopened as a modern and comfortable facility now serving the community as El Mercat de Poblenou.
The market is found at PlaГ§a de la UniГі, 25, the nearest metro station is Poblenou (L4). The market is open Mondays from 8:30 am to 2 pm; Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays from 8:30 am to 2 pm and from 5:30 pm to 8:30 pm; Fridays all day from 8:30 am to 8:30 pm, and Saturdays from 8:30 am to 3 pm.