In the 9th century a West Slavic state Great Moravia was formed. Bohemia (Czechia) seceded from the Great Moravia as a separate kingdom in 895, and Prague became the capital of the kingdom. Prague (or, more precisely, Prague Castle) was founded on the west bank of the Vltava river in the 80s of the 9th century by the leader of a Slavic-Czech peoples, prince Premys. Construction of the fortress of Vysehrad began in 1085 on the east (right) bank of Vltava by the decree of prince Vratislaus II. Starting from 1086, the Holy Roman Empire recognized the kingdom of Bohemia.
Princely castles did not last, but their location for many years defined the boundaries of the city. At the foot of the castles settlements sprang, and stone buildings of Roman churches were built, some of which stand there still.
On the right bank of Vltava the remnants of the Roman church of St Martin can be seen, whose rotunda was built at the end of the 11th century by the prince Vratislaus II. It was repaired and restored in 1719 and 1848. On the left bank, a rotunda of St Longinus has been erected in the first tierce of the 12th century, but vacated in 1782 and subsequently transformed into a warehouse. Its restoration began in 1844, and the rotunda got its modern look in the period of 1929-1934.
The most ancient Roman basements and foundations by this day support the more modern castles and churches of Prague.
The article by Irina Sukharnikova, translation by Ekaterina Ryabova; specially for Sweet Home Abroad