In 1471 Pope Sixtus IV started a collection of antique statues, which he would soon donate to the Capitoline Museums. The Capitoline Museums (Piazza del Campidoglio) house artwork and sculpture collections in two palaces вЂ“ Palazzo Nuovo and Palazzo dei Conservatori. Both were designed by Michelangelo and located at the very centre of ancient Rome. The great master had also planned the Piazza Capitolina and the Cordonata Capitolina вЂ“ a flight of steps of sorts leading to the piazza - both were finished prior to Charles V's visit to Rome in 1536. The center of the piazza is occupied by the bronze statue of Marcus Aurelius, the only ancient equestrian that survived to this day. Today, the original is housed in Palazzo Nuovo. From the top of the Capitoline hill one can admire gorgeous views of the Roman Forum and Via Sacra (Sacred Road), which religious and festive processions took to the Capitoline hill.