The famous art gallery of Venice was founded in 1750 to serve as an art school in the city with just the right combination of lax censorship and talented artists. Today it occupies the church of Santa Maria della CaritГ envisioned and designed by Bartolomeo Bon, to where it moved in 1807 and where it gathered most of its collection. The majority of paintings on permanent display were donated or rescued from churches and other religious houses during Napoleonic occupation of Venice. Santa Maria della CaritГ is not the only building of the Accademia; the mid-16th century Convento dei Canonici Lateranensi by Palladio (unfinished) and Scuola della CaritГ , the oldest of Venetian scuole founded in 13th century, also belong to the gallery.
Because this is the primary art gallery in the city, it naturally displays an abundance of Venetian paintings, but not all of them deserve to be called masterpieces and can therefore be skipped in favour of room 17 and вЂњThe Legend of Saint UrsulaвЂќ cycle by Carpaccio. You are advised to come early to try and beat the crowd as only 300 people at a time are admitted to the gallery. Avoid visiting the gallery on Sunday as it is the busiest day for the Accademia.